alarm-ringing ambulance angle2 archive arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up at-sign baby baby2 bag binoculars book-open book2 bookmark2 bubble calendar-check calendar-empty camera2 cart chart-growth check chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up circle-minus circle city clapboard-play clipboard-empty clipboard-text clock clock2 cloud-download cloud-windy cloud clubs cog cross crown cube youtube diamond4 diamonds drop-crossed drop2 earth ellipsis envelope-open envelope exclamation eye-dropper eye facebook file-empty fire flag2 flare foursquare gift glasses google graph hammer-wrench heart-pulse heart home instagram joystick lamp layers lifebuoy link linkedin list lock magic-wand map-marker map medal-empty menu microscope minus moon mustache-glasses paper-plane paperclip papers pen pencil pie-chart pinterest plus-circle plus power pushpin question rain reading receipt recycle reminder sad shield-check smartphone smile soccer spades speed-medium spotlights star-empty star-half star store sun-glasses sun tag telephone thumbs-down thumbs-up tree tumblr twitter user users wheelchair write yelp youtube

Ultraviolet Awareness Month

UV awareness month is here. Schedule with us today.Did you know Prevent Blindness declared May as Ultraviolet Awareness Month? The action taken by this leading sight preservation organization came as a straightforward response to boost general education programs among communities to inform about the severity of the degenerative eye conditions caused by UV exposure.

Why Ultraviolet Rays Are Damaging to Eyesight
The sun emits different light rays, including visible, infrared, and, of course, ultraviolet (UV). There are three types of UV rays: UVA, UVB, and UVC. Analogous to what it does to other body parts, UV rays exposure is responsible for causing cumulative, permanent damages to the tissues that make up the eye.

UV radiation is easily absorbed by nucleic acids, proteins, lipids, and other cellular molecules. Though most of the energy dissipates, the remains can structurally alter molecules and further cause occasional DNA mutations, protein denaturation, and cellular death.

About 95% of UV radiation received is UVA. UVA rays are to blame for tanning, skin aging, and the worsening of UVB eye damage. UVB rays make up for the remaining 5% of all UV radiation. They cause DNA harm, tissue damages, and sunburn. UVC rays are in the most toxic frequency band. However, the ozone layer and the atmosphere completely absorb them.

Sight Damages Caused by UV Exposure

  • Corneal sunburns or photokeratitis
    A condition where patients get a sensation of “grit in the eye.” The epithelial layer becomes irritated and loosened. The subsequent inflammatory response results in edema, congestion, and stippling of the cornea. As cells die and visual acuity is compromised, nerve fibers are free, causing significant pain.
  • Cataracts
    UV radiation is an important risk factor for the development of cataracts, one of the leading causes of blindness worldwide. A correlation between cortical cataracts and UV has been successfully established experimentally.
  • Macular degeneration
    This age-related degenerative retina disease leads to vision loss. The condition is severely worsened by UV exposure.

Protective Measures
Gift your eyes the best protection against harmful UV rays: Wear high-quality UV400 sunglasses while outdoors! As harmful UV radiation happens all year long, it’s crucial you wear them even on cloudy days.

UV400 marked sunglasses are synonymous with eye protection! They block 99-100% of UV light, filtering and keeping away light rays with wavelengths up to 400 nanometers, including UVA and UVB rays.

Contact Us
Located in Central Florida, MyEyeCare has single-handedly earned the trust of residents from Casselberry and other nearby communities through quality vision services provided by the most attentive, experienced, and skilled professionals in the area. Our goal is to help patients gain and preserve the best possible vision. We use cutting-edge, advanced techniques, diagnostics equipment, exams, treatments, and care products to ensure your eyesight is in top condition. Do you wish to start an eye protection program today? Please, schedule an appointment with us!